Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Follow Up To The Follow Up On . . .


The spoof email making the rounds regarding The Enlightened States Of America that I reproduced on this blog is gaining a life of its own around the globe!  It has surpassed, on my blog count, the Crabby Old Man spoof email that has been circulating for several years now and which I also reproduced on this blog.

It seems to me that these phenomena indicate a deep need in all of us to find something that truly sparks our emotional connection to our world.  Reality has overwhelmed us.  We know more about The Housewives of (fill in the blanks), Keeping Up With The Kardashians, The Bachelor (Bachelorette), Survivor, ad nauseam than most of us ever cared about.  So it is no surprise to me that we respond to these two very different appeals to our sentiments:  loving and caring about our seniors as with Crabby Old Man (Woman), and our political frustrations as with The Enlightened States of America.

There is something sad about a society that is more invested in “reality” TV than in reality.  There has always been escapism, a desire to get away from it all. It seems easier to escape into mock reality than to actually deal with what is going on in our lives that needs positive attention.  Certainly, there is nothing wrong with realizing one needs a break from the turmoil and frustrations that seem ever present.  But for anything to change we must eventually come back to our real world and apply ourselves to working through the problems.

I read just this morning in The Daily Kos about the citizens of Texas signing petitions to the White House asking for the right to secede from the United States! The White House apparently has a standard of agreeing to submit any petition with over 25,000  signatures in 30 days to the appropriate committee/person for an official response.  Talk about fantasy Vs reality!    I am not sure whether this represents the fantasy world or the real world where some think they are working through the problems.  Personally, I say let them secede, but that’s another whole issue!

I do not have the answer, other than the foregoing comments, which are not deeply reasoned out.  I am simply making an observation from my point of view.  I am guessing that because it is easier to take out our frustrations by angrily taking to task those with opinions (observations) different from our own that there will be reactions to this article.  I also guess that only demonstrates that someone has read it, which, after all, is one of the reasons I am writing it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment